Tuesday, March 24, 2009

New American Reformed Biography

Very excited that the new ARB is coming out this June: Tom Nettles' James Petigru Boyce: A Southern Baptist Statesman. Founder of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and former president of the Southern Baptist Convention, Boyce studied at Princeton Seminary under Charles Hodge and embodied the evangelical Calvinism that characterized the seminary's founding and its Abstract of Principles. Nettles' biography, all 600+ pages of it, will be the definitive biography of this Southern Baptist founder.  

6 comments:

Matt Pickens said...

Great to hear! Is there a list somewhere of what the rest of the titles in this series will be? I heard that there will be nine and I'd love to know what else might be coming.

Sean Michael Lucas said...

The rest contracted are:
Andrew Hoffecker, Charles Hodge;
George Harinck, Geerhardus Vos;
Carl Trueman, B. B. Warfield
Greg Wills, John Witherspoon

So, eight in total. There was one additional one, but it was recently published by a different publisher in their biography series (I'll let you guess...).

Matt Pickens said...

Thanks for passing that on! All look like they should be good.

Frances Alston said...

Hi Sean...Looking at the books you normally read causes me to hesitate to even ask, but I was wondering if you have read Tim Keller's book, "The Reason for God"?

Sean Michael Lucas said...

Hi, Frances: yes, I've read it. I've commented on it on this blog; type in Keller in the search box and you'll find what I said...sml

Frances Alston said...

Awesome!! I started writing an essay here, but erased it all. One point...this would be such a terrific study for a Wednesday night small group at FPC. We tried Evangelism Explosion as a way to learn how to succinctly share our faith and reach out to the community, but it was ineffective (in my opinion). We called it "friendship evangelism", but it was more of a "cram the Gospel down the throats of unwilling or disinterested victims". Dr. Keller gives solid answers to the tough questions that need to be addressed in today's skeptical society. Looks like I began another essay! Anyway, thanks for your "book review"!