Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Larry Norman (1947-2008)

The godfather of early Christian rock has passed away at the age of 60. This is very sad--the first two Christian albums I owned were both from Solid Rock Records (with their cool logo, a take-off on the Rolling Stones): Larry Norman's "Something New Under the Sun" and Randy Stonehill's "Welcome to Paradise." What I so appreciated about these early "Solid Rock" guys, as well as Keith Green, was their intense piety and their unwillingness to sell out to the music industry machine--often giving their albums away. And some of the songs undoubtedly made an impact during the Jesus People days: "I Wish We Had All Been Ready" and "Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?" were the two Larry Norman classics. What was most encouraging was his testimony just prior to his homecoming as contained on his website; it appears that as he crossed the dark river, he was continuing to cling to Jesus and fight the good fight.

1 comment:

S.DeAnn Harris said...

HI Sean,
I didn't know you had a blog - found it when Dave Lindberg sent me an email to HIS blog. Just read about Larry Norman - didn't know he died. I loved his music, along with Keith Green. How did you know about his death? Were you all able to see the recital on the web link I sent - not sure if I had sara's email address right. Someone else said they could only see a few seconds. Hmmm.

DeAnn