Monday, July 16, 2007

Summer Reading 2007, no. 3

I finished reading Praying at Burger King by Richard Mouw. This was not exactly what I expected; I had conceived (somehow) that it was a similar book to Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport. Instead, it was a collection of short, pithy, three page editorials on a wide-range of subjects; it took me two "sittings" to complete (actually, I read it in bed before I went to sleep).

Still, the little book (134 pages) represents what I so appreciate about Mouw--his open-eyed view of the world; his love for Jesus that shines through every description; his willingness to consider opposing ideas with respect (even when he disagrees). To me, he represents a wonderful model of Christian piety, especially in a thoughtful scholar. All too often, academics spend their time sharpening their swords on others foibles and follies; not Mouw. Instead, he reminds me of the One who said, "I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden light" (Matthew 11:29-30).

No comments: