Friday, March 03, 2006

Martyn Lloyd-Jones' Legacy

Carl Trueman, a friend and professor of church history and historical theology at Westminster Theological Seminary, has posted some trenchent remarks on Martyn Lloyd-Jones' legacy. Whether you agree with Carl or not--and his criticisms of MLJ seem directed as much toward his admirers as Lloyd-Jones himself, save for the final point--they are worth considering.

In that context, I've continued to wrestle historically with how a place like Westminster Chapel could go from MLJ to R. T. Kendall to Greg Haslam (a leader among the Word and Spirit movement, a UK charismatic group). The received, conventional wisdom has generally seen Kendall as the one wearing the "black hat" in the story, corrupting the MLJ legacy and opening the door to the charismatic movement. But I wonder if there was some trajectory in MLJ's own ministry--whether explicit or implicit--that set the stage for this transition.

I guess you can say that historically it is all a question of Lloyd-Jones and the Lloyd-Jonesists!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean,

MLJ certainly opened the door for what is now going on at WC - his Joy Unspeakable testifies to that.

Haslam's son gave me some duracel batteries (after I had effectively - though unwittingly - stuck my foot in my mouth from the pulpit at WC), so I wont be too hard on the present setup.

mark