Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Other Big 5: (Influential) Books Not Read or Finished

This was a great post from Richard Mouw. Particularly after writing the previous post, to read that Mouw has not finished Augustine's Confessions was particularly liberating (especially because I've never finished it either--and I'm a church historian!).

It made me think about all the other classics that I've not finished--because I got distracted or bored and just gave up. And so, in the spirit of the previous post, I thought I'd over my "big 5" classic books that I never managed to finish and yet have to act like I know what they say:

1) Augustine, Confessions (read first 50 pages or so)
2) Richard Baxter, The Reformed Pastor (read first 50 pages or so)
3) Schleiermacher, The Christian Faith (read first 200 pages and last 50)
4) Dickens, Great Expectations (I've started this book at least five different times)
5) any David Wells book (I own them all, but never finished any of them)

4 comments:

DBerg said...

Sweet! I'm not the only person who does that.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is very liberating for me, Dr. Lucas! I can't tell you how many times I've started The Reformed Pastor, Great Expectations, and at least three of Wells' books yet never finished them! Thanks for your honesty.

nickg said...

Working at a seminary bookstore, I have a chance to be embarrassed at least once a day about a book (or books) that I haven't read. The biggest culprits are the Puritans and John Piper. They are among our biggest sellers, but I've never read any books by those authors all the way through. I've read significant portions of many of those books, but never one cover to cover. It is good to see I'm not alone!

Eutychus said...

Sean, I can't tell you how pleased I am that you couldn't finish Augustine's Confessions! About 10 years ago, I forced myself to get through it, simply as a matter of principle -- but Bob's Confession is that I felt like quitting after 50 pages!!