Friday, May 09, 2008

Contentment and Calling

From Jeremiah Burroughs, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment (Banner of Truth, 1964), 217:

[Directions on how to attain contentment] 3. Be sure of your call to every business you go about. Though it is the least business, be sure of your call to it; then whatever you meet with, you may quiet your heart with this: I know I am where God would have me. Nothing in the world will quiet the heart so much as this: when I meet with any cross, I know I am where God would have me, in my place and calling; I am about the work that God has set me. Oh, this will quiet and content you when you meet with trouble. What God calls a man to, in that he may have comfort whatever befalls him. God will look to you, and see you blessed if you are in the work God calls you to.

No comments: